Go To A-Z Index

DVLA GUIDE - Unofficial Guide to the DVLA Duplicate Tax Disc

For helpful and convenient driving licence and vehicle advice:

Telephone : 0905 801 7211

Calls cost £1.53 per minute from a BT Landline.

Advice provided is available free of charge from DVLA

Advice you can trust, when you need it
We provide helpful and convenient advice regarding United Kingdom driving licence, vehicles, MOT, SORN and tax disc including advice on the following:

  • Change of address of UK driving licence
  • Renewals of UK driving licence
  • Lost or stolen of UK driving licence
  • Learner and new driver information
  • Register a vehicle
  • Who to notify when you buy or sell a vehicle
  • Making changes to your registration
  • Taxing your vehicle
  • MOT Certificates
  • SORN a vehicle
  • Locations and Hours

You are in the Drivers License & ID. If you are looking for Drivers License & ID information dvlaguide.com is the right site for you. In this section you'll find out how to apply, renew and replace your drivers license, how to update any name or address changes, how to apply motorcycle license, or what medical rules apply to drivers

This site, dvlaguide.com, also covers the specifics for learners and new drivers, vehicle registration, taxing your vehicle, MOTs, how to SORN a vehicle, what forms you need and DVLA hours and locations.

Getting a Duplicate Tax Disc

You need to replace your tax disc if it has been lost, stolen, destroyed or damaged, or the figures on it can't be read because the disc has faded. You can get a duplicate tax disc in person or by post by using a V20 or duplicate vehicle licence disc application form.

What To Do? Oh What To Do?

Apply in person or by post at your nearest Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA) local office.

You Will Need:

  • Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement
  • a completed V20 or Duplicate vehicle licence disc application form
  • £7 fee, if required (see ‘the cost’ below)
  • the original tax disc if you still have it

If you don't have a Registration Certificate or New Keeper Supplement, you'll need to complete a V62 or Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C) together with £25 (fee for a Registration Certificate) and include this with your duplicate tax disc application.

The New Keeper Supplement can only be used for two months from the date you bought your vehicle. If it's out of date, you'll need to complete V62 or ‘Application for a Vehicle Registration Certificate (V5C)‘ instead. Include this and the New Keeper Supplement with your application. The £25 fee is not required.

The Cost

The fee for a duplicate tax disc is £7 and is generally not refunded after the application has been received at the DVLA local office.

A Little Good News. You don't need to pay if the tax disc is:

  • unreadable or the colour has faded
  • lost in the post
  • being held by the police as evidence

You do not have to pay if the vehicle is exempt from paying vehicle tax (eg disabled) or has been stolen and recovered without the tax disc

What If You Find the Original Tax Disc

As the original tax disc is no longer valid, you must return it to the DVLA local office that issued the duplicate. Keep the duplicate tax disc on the vehicle.

Stolen Tax Disc

Notify the police if the tax disc has been stolen.